Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Contender … Good Or Bad For Boxing?

I’m going to come right out and say it. I don’t like it. The problem with The Contender reality show is that it’s a reality show!

Fight fans know that the sport of boxing is already a reality show. There is no righteousness prevailing over evil, social justice or political correctness, it is simply as cold and as real as reality gets. Unfortunately, the producers believe that watching the reality of boxing isn’t as interesting as the feigned social drama that pans in front of the camera.

In fairness, I just don’t like reality shows.

For me, I’m already watching “The Contender” just by being a boxing fan. I watch young fighters coming into the sport become contenders, and then I follow their careers through to their title shot (and so on). The difference is I don’t have to watch 55 minutes of weeping and backbiting, just to watch five minutes of edited fighting.

Hey, and by the way, what’s with the team activity games that have nothing to do with boxing training? Boxing isn’t a team sport, and loading medicine balls on the back of a pick-up truck isn’t boxing training!

Maybe this show will introduce mainstream audiences to the sweet science. Unfortunately, this show ranked dead last in its timeslot in its first week. Not even big names like Sylvester Stallone or Sugar Ray Leonard could pull audiences in.

--The Mighty Moe

No comments: